Marlin Hotel - Whangaroa



Last year we drove up to one of my favourite places - Whangaroa Harbour. We arrived just before lunch and were quite hungry so we decided to try the historic Marlin Hotel and see what their food was like. We were served by 2 very friendly hosts and ordered our food- the other half had fish and chips (best batter we have ever tasted so light and crunchy) and I had polenta with steamed veges. Absolutely blown away by how delicious it all was.


Apparently the hotel was first established around the mid 1800's when it was named the Masonic Hotel but was badly burned in 1884 and rebuilt but suffered further fires in 1926, 1994 and 2003.




We were told that the fish on the walls were once real and were caught by local fishermen many years ago. I have included an article I found below dated from 1926 which speaks of the area being a rich source of major fishing catches:



Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

Hels said…
Apart from a few repairs needed to the front, Marlin Hotel looks very welcoming - rural, peaceful and hospitable.
Amy said…
Sadly it closed recently due to competition from the local fishing club, from what I heard, not sure if that's true or not. If it were me I'd open it as a backpackers.

Popular Posts