The Ohaeawai Hotel


2 days ago I drove through to Kaikohe and stopped in at Ohaeawai, about 20 minutes away from us. Luckily I was able to dodge the rain and hail to take a few photos around the area.

Built in 1895 the Ohaeawai (also known as Taiamai) Hotel was originally made of Kauri and is situated on the corner of the main state highway 12 and state highway 1. It has 2 bars, one currently being run as a cafe, a gaming room, large dining room, commercial kitchen, cool store, cellar and office.  It is on the Heritage NZ list as a category 2 building and the land plus building is up for sale at the moment.

I would imagine a hotel like this in a small town, like many others would find it hard to do a regular trade and if it were me I would run it as a hotel and backpackers for tourists. What would you do with it?

Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

Kayni said…
I do hope the next owners would take care of this historic building.

I'm with you bed and breakfast perhaps or a craft shop.

Popular Posts