Robert and Marianna Saies


I was up in Totara North again last week visiting the local cemetery. Last time I had been up there I hadn't taken individual photos of some of the oldest graves, many are so old that the headstones/details are no longer there. One of them which still looks like it's in fairly good condition is this one of husband and wife Robert and Marianna Saies. 

According to my research into the "Saies" name around the far north it seems to be very well known in the gum selling industry. Back then people mined gum from the surrounding areas, selling it to the local shopkeepers.

Robert Saies was born in Wales to James and Ann Saies on December 18th 1819 and died on May 28th 1883 aged 63 years old. His wife Marianna (Warlow) was born in Dale, Pembrokeshire, Wales on September 10th 1884 to James and Anna Maria Warlow. They were the parents of 6 children, all of whom were born in the UK so I'm guessing as a family they came over here together; Maria Amelia Saies, Robert Warlow Saies, William Henry Saies, Louisa Ann, Josiah Hart Saies and Thomas Saies. 

Upon researching this name around the area I discovered that Totara North was also named Saies, I'm guessing this family was among the first pakeha to settle here.  

Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

local alien said…
It's nice to see the graves are well kept and weeded. Always interesting to read this history
Tom said…
...I often see fenced plots like this here.
Unknown said…
My ancestors. Saies is a tiny place of it's own as is Totara North. They are not the same place

Popular Posts