St Lukes Church, Pakanae


Just outside of Opononi in a small settlement named Pakanae is this historical church overlooking the Hokianga Harbour and sand dunes. St Lukes Church was built in the 1920s and is currently part of a Give a Little campaign to save it. At the risk of collapse, the old building needs repairs due to wear and tear over the years. 

Photo taken from Te Papa Collections by Laurence Aberhart

Unfortunately the main door was locked when we visited as the church is still in use but I did manage to find this one above.

Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

Tom said…
...this is a wonderful church, the interior is similar to some found here.
Hi Amy…I always read your “Coming Up Close” blog and just found you have this other one today! I can’t seem to leave a comment over there at all. The comment form is set up different from this one and my comments over there just disappear. (I am signed into Google, but it makes no difference.). Anyway, I liked the cows in the road a lot…you and I blogged some similar pictures this time!
Klara said…
hi Amy, could you enable google comments with URL+name on Coming up close blog? recently, don't know what happened, but I can't leave comments on lot of blogs due to some setting change in google account. beats me.
Me again. I really loved the landmarks above the road on your other blog and I'm glad you got the picture. All of us who drive and travel could use the guardians!

Wow, I see that I have the same problem as Klara in the comment above!! I guess it's good to know it's not just me. And I have now found several other blogs set up that way where I also can't comment.
Iris Flavia said…
Interesting interior! Quite... simple, I like that. Concentrate on the purpose of being there.

Popular Posts