Kawakawa District War Memorial


Near the roundabout at the entry of Kawakawa is this district war memorial that was erected in 1954 and the plaque at the back commemorates the anniversary of the first deployment of New Zealand forces overseas. On the 21st October 1899 the first contingent of 218 men along with 250 horses left Queens Wharf in Wellington aboard the SS Waiwera for the South African War. More information here.

Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

Tom said…
...I like the arched sign, I see some like that at cemeteries here.
Megan Gutsell said…
That arc itself is a work of art. I'm really starting to appreciate memorials more. Love all the facts and figures we learn along the way.
Rajani Rehana said…
Please read my post
R's Rue said…
I love the arched sign. Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful day full of hope, joy and love.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Popular Posts