St Matthew's Church Parapara


I had an interesting chance meeting last week. I was at work with B on the Friday when we stopped at a property that was opposite these 2 buildings. The owner of the property we were at stopped to talk with us and after asking the gentleman if it was ok to open the gate across the road and have a look he very kindly came with me and told me some very neat information about the old building on the right. (In New Zealand if there is a Maori church it's polite to check if you can enter). Named "St Matthew's Church" in Parapara on the outskirts of Taipa, apparently it use to be the original church here, in use from 1880 until 1980 and he was baptised there as a baby. I'm guessing the church on the left is now the one that's in use.


After promising him I wouldn't take any photos of the new burials and close ups of the graves he told me that this bell and the plaque not only commemorates the reunion of the descendants of Reihana Kiriwi but that this Maori chief is one of his direct ancestors. 


Article from the "Waka Maori" - Volume 12, Issue 9 - 2 May 1876


After he opened the door to the old church he showed me inside, explained that the floors he thought were made of Kauri and that he hoped the Historic Places Trust would add the building to their list.

I was extremely grateful and thankful for his help and information.
Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

Billy Blue Eyes said…
After seeing the new church and seeing the inside of the old one my first thought was it looks like it needs some TLC for a new church then realised the old church was beside the new one. Did you get in the new one at all
Tom said…
...it beautiful, I hope that the owner can restore the interior.
Amy said…
No sadly we didn't get to go into the new one. The guy showing me around also said that some govt dept had come along and offered to renovate the old one but that the elders had declined.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
magiceye said…
Fascinating history.

Popular Posts