Waipu Settlers and Family Reunion 1903


Waipu in Northland is a place that is famous for it's Scottish history mostly because the settlers that first moved there from Nova Scotia in the 1800s with Reverend McLeod have many descendants there today.

Every year on New Year's Day the Scottish clans gather in the Caledonian Park in Waipu to celebrate their heritage. 

The New Zealand Herald Volume XL, Issue 12195, 14th February 1903 shares one such event:





The Highland Gatherings today are probably quite different to what they once were. Last time I attended about 10 years ago there were stalls set up for each clan, barrel throwing, highland fling competitions etc. 


This photo above shows Mrs Annie McInnes (nee Finlayson) demonstrating how spinning wool would've originally been done.

Auckland Weekly News 1903, Kura Image Collections

This one is showing visitors queueing outside the dining tents during the lunch time period. It is a huge event lasting all day and great for those who are exploring their Scottish ancestry.


This isn't my video but one I found on YouTube showing one family's outing to the 2023 - 150th Highland Games in Waipu this year.  The town that I lived in for about 15 years would be about 20 minutes away so I know this town very well.

Join us on Facebook at the Northland Heritage Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109709272401824/

Comments

local alien said…
I don't think I've ever been to Highland games but it reminded me of our local agricultural show. There was always highland dancing, I don't know about throwing the caber or those other competitions. Lovely to watch the video and read the history

Popular Posts