Reference Number: APG-1227-1/2-F
"..Going down the line we found the engine in a state of polished brass and oiliness, and apparently totally indifferent to the excitement which pervaded everything else. We were informed that it is from the workshop of Messrs Slaughter, Gunning and Co., of Bristol, that its power represented about 50 horses, that the action was reversible, so as to render turning unnecessary, that its curious inverted conical funnel was constructed so as to catch the sparks as they fly upwards, and that it could draw with ease a weight of 200 tons
The passenger carriages, of which there are four, two first-class and two second-class, are rather comfortably than expensively fitted they are built of Australian timber, in a very substantial manner, with all the latest improvements, and are from the manufactory of W. Williams, Melbourne. Besides these there are about 30 box and ballast waggons. It is expected that the rolling stock already on hand will meet the requirements of all the traffic which will pass over the line for some time to come, but another engine is on its way from England, and other stock will be procured as soon as necessary.
We were shown through the offices, & c., which contrast in a very favorable manner with some of the Government offices at Christchurch the Indies waiting room is very neat and chastely furnished, although as may be supposed rather small. The engine shed is a commodious building of timber and corrugated iron, the same may he said of the wool shed in short the whole of the arrangements seem eminently adapted to the purposes they are to serve..."
The Ferrymead to Christchurch line according to Wikipedia became a branch line after the construction of the Lyttleton Tunnel. With the opening of the Lyttleton line (9 December 1867) Ferrymead's days were numbered. By 1868 it had become a siding with the buildings removed to Christchurch and Heathcote.